15 September 2006

jesus: alive, well and asian

the generosity of the people ive met thus far is alarming. what i am experiencing on a daily basis isnt the somewhat insincere good manners hospitality of most folks back home... its this overwhelming, no second thought, 'jesus christ is alive, well and asian' kind of way. its the 'leave the party early cuz im a drunk lush, hold me while im puking oodles inside a taxi, once home bathe said disaster off of me, wash my clothes, tuck me into bed, and while im sleep sleeping away, be on all fours picking up the hundreds of napkin pieces off the laundry room floor cause i thought keeping tissues in my back pocket was clever' kind of way. (for illustrative purposes only.)

in my experiences here, these constant acts of generosity are not excuses for resentment, naughty favors, nor reproach. these demonstrations are not loaded nor overly complicated. they feel like a way of life. my typical means of showing appreciation was honed in response to typical acts of kindness. consequently my responses dont adequately acknowledge the magnanimity of their gestures. i guess my main confusion stems from the fact that these are strangers bestowing the care and love that i expect to give and receive only from good friends. i leave these interactions feeling humbled, if not also a bit humiliated, because all this still feels foreign.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Matt...

Glad you're safe..Keep the blog entries going.. eager to know more abt ur exciting adventures..lol..

16 September, 2006 04:03  
Blogger matt said...

ah thanks man. youre sweet. see u in sg.

18 September, 2006 07:08  

Post a Comment

<< Home