23 April 2006

creativity is unlimited

theres a sign outside of korea's pohang steel plant that reads 'resources are limited. creativity is unlimited.' i cant think of a better explanation of how a nation the size of washington state emerged from the devastation of civil war to become the worlds 13th largest economy.

baby jesus placed korea in between two ambitious neighbors. and despite millenia of conquest from both china and japan, koreans retain a vibrant, distinct culture. since koreans can claim 3000 yrs of history, the conspicuous absense of traditional buildings is but a painful reminder of the peninsulas repeated devastation.

for me, this tragic and heroic history is best expressed by two words. han ( ) escapes adequate translation but is said to define koreanness. ive heard it defined as 'unrelenting sorrow' or 'crying when you cant cry anymore.' theres another word, toogoboja, which loosely translates into a cynical 'we'll see how things turn out.'

these words capture koreanness for me and i feel connected to them. im wary and skeptical by nature, and ive seen how this is misinterpreted as pessimism. yet i think my actions suggest that i am convinced that shitty events shouldnt stop us from pursuing the future's potential. my connection with these two words confirms my koreanness for me when my mixed heritage and cultural detachment has made me question it.

i enjoy being here, despite the lack of bygone architecture, the disgusting air, the homophobia and the sub-5 ft halmuhnees (grandmothers) pushing you out of their way. being here makes me want to live in asia. it could be shanghai, bangkok or singapore, but it should be seoul. despite the inevitable disappointments of korea and koreans, ive already waited too long to immerse myself in all things korean.


its true.
besides, theres no better time for me to do it than now. im retired, ready to sell my diggs and i need to find my next creative inspiration. and since theres nothing like discomfort to bring out creativity, moving my ass to asia is probably the best way for me to emerge from the post-mavin creative burn out. lets see if i chicken out.
more 2006 korea photos here.
more 2005 korea photos here.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home